About the Ontario Square & Round Dance Federation
The Ontario Square & Round Dance Federation is an all-volunteer coordinating body for Square, Round, Clog and Line Dancing in Ontario. We are governed by a Board of Directors, made up of representatives from Ontario associations and members at large from Northern Ontario.
The Ontario Square & Round Dance Federation is made up of four regions:
- Eastern Ontario Square and Round Dance Association
- Toronto and District Square and Round Dance Association
- Square and Round Dancers of South Western Ontario
- Lakehead & District Square & Round Dance Association
The Ontario Square & Round Dance Federation has its roots in a steering committee, chaired by Ray Hutchison formed in September 1977. Letters of patent were received on April 23, 1982. The initial board of directors was set for 1982-83, with Ed and Jean Christian being the first presidents. Our current Presidents are Dan & Rhetha Roy, Representing the South Western Ontario Square & Round Dance Association.
The Federation is supported by membership fees from individuals and organization. We are open to any organization or individual participants in square, round, line, contra, clog, country & western or related dancing.
In addition to supporting the roles of area associations, the aims and objectives of the Ontario Federation are:
- To provide a forum at the Provincial level for discussion and interchange of information pertaining to the square and round dance movement and facilitate the flow of information within the organization.
- To encourage the growth and advancement of the square and round dance movement within Ontario by:
- providing assistance in the organization, development and promotion of Clubs and Associations
- encouraging the development of square and round dance callers, cuers and leaders
- assisting in the coordination of major square and round dance functions in Ontario
- administering the Trillium Award Program to recognize outstanding contributions by Ontario square and round dancers, callers, cuers, and leaders
- promoting the square and round dance movement in Ontario
- To represent the Ontario square and dance movement to governments, other provincial Federations, and the Canadian Society of square and round dancers.
- To ensure that appropriate liability insurance is available for square and round dancers, callers, cuers, leaders and their organizations in Ontario and to facilitate the implementation thereof.
Ontario Federation Board of Directors – 2020-21
Ontario Square and Round Dance Federation Board of Directors
2020 – 2021
Dan & Rhetha Roy, Wayne & Sharron Hall, Peter & Bev Piazza, Howard & Jean Lander, Barbara Englehart, Dave Western, Arlo Speer, Bob Pitruniak, Bill & Marlene Zimmer
Ontario Square and Round Dance Federation Past Presidents
Steering committee chaired by Ray Huchinson was formed September 1977
Letters patent were received April 23, 1982
Initial Board of Directors – 1982-83
President: Ed & Jean Christian
Vice President : Ron & Ella lles
Secretary: Fred & Kay Parcher
Treasurer : Ed & Louise McQuaid
Directors: Denny Howlett, Judy Howlett, Freda Pearsall, Ron Gilbert, Lorraine Gilbert, Alice Davidson, Don Davidson
1983-1987 – Bob Pereira
1987-1988 – Al White
1988-1991 – Bob Pereira
1991-1993 – Ray Quirk
1993-1994 – Lorne Bowerman
1994-1997 – John / Marilyn Sellers
1997-2000 – Bill / Bonnie Taylor
2000-2002 – Wayne / Sharron Hall
2002-2007 – Al / Renia Calhoun
2007-2009 – Peter Graham
2009-2011 – Peter / Bev Piazza
2011-2013 – Peter Courdin / Karen Remy
2013-2018 – Wayne / Sharron Hall
2018- – Dan / Rhetha Roy